STONE YARD: ART IN THE MAKING
Craftsmanship and customization are core to Stone Yard, our luxury home furnishings brand that values handmade artistry, innovation, and collaboration. Founder and head designer Mitch Brean remembers how it all began back in the mid-1980s. At a dinner in Los Angeles with friends one evening, he met a designer who was looking to reproduce an antique Venetian stone well head and turn it into a focal table for a hotel lobby project. It was no small feat, but Mitch, 21 years old at the time, had no problem accepting the challenge. “I mentioned that I knew how to do that, and that was the birth of Stone Yard and our first product, the Well Base, which is still in the line,” says Mitch. In his early teens, he worked for his dad who owned a business that did pattern and mold making, mostly for the aerospace industry. “So I had learned from him how to work with plaster, resins, and fiberglass, and how to make a mold of an original object in order to reproduce it.”
Ever since then, Stone Yard has been committed to creating luxury indoor and outdoor furniture and décor with a commitment to craftsmanship on every level—unparalleled designs made by expert artisans with years of training and decades of experience, using only the highest-quality materials. Led by Mitch, the Stone Yard creative team approaches every product with artisanal ingenuity, combining modern innovations in design with tried-and-true craftsmanship that can only come as the result of hard-working hands, thoughtful intention, and boundlessly creative minds. These qualities, combined with unrivaled customization capabilities, is what makes every Stone Yard design truly a work of art and truly one of a kind.
What Stone Yard products are made of is equally as important as who made them and how they are made. “Early on we made pieces out of plaster and cement,” says Mitch. “I did a lot of experimenting using resins, fiberglass, and different types of crushed stone and aggregates trying to come up with a material that looked like stone but was light weight, chip resistant, and could withstand freeze-thaw situations. We eventually came up with what we named Fiberstone.” Each Stone Yard offering is meticulously handcrafted from Fiberstone or glass fiber reinforced concrete (GFRC), innovative materials that are durable enough to withstand all weather conditions and high-traffic environments, but that also allow the Stone Yard team to replicate the look and feel of natural stone at a fraction of the weight. The beauty in this is that each piece is easier to move into place, an attribute homeowners who live in multi-level residences can appreciate. The final touch for each product is hand-applied layers of one of Stone Yard’s unique finishes or marine-grade SyGlos colors.
Stone Yard invites you to elevate your everyday experience of being home with one of our original furniture or décor pieces, each an artfully handcrafted combination of beauty and function designed for a lifetime of enjoyment. Explore the collection now and discover extraordinary new possibilities for your next home project.
- Planters inspired by the Greek and Roman classics, the French and Italian countryside, or the sleek, crisp lines of the Modern Era.
- Artisanal fire tables and bowls whose sculptural designs create a luxury fireside experience.
- Styling that takes the prehistoric mood and transcends it to modern sensibilities in sofas, day beds, chairs, and benches.
- Plus: pristine table bases, consoles, accessories, and site furnishings that break the mold when it comes to functional design.
The Stone Yard Advantage
- Handcrafted Quality: One-of-a-kind furnishings sculpted, molded, shaped, and finished by expert artisans.
- Innovative Materials: Materials designed for your needs—lightweight, durable, functional, and beautiful.
- Your Trusted Resource: Expert support, collaboration, and inspiration with personalized attention to every detail.